Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Re-read Any Good Books? Re-Cycled Any Good Art?

Read any good books lately? Trying to get back into some ART, inspired by recently read or re-read books. Julia Alvarez's "In the Time of the Butterflies" is a classic, and though it took place in a Caribbean dictatorship during the 60's, many aspects of repression, fear, and love-for-family are equally relevant to people trying to live their lives in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, or Congo. A couple of years ago I posted this illustration to depict conflict. I think it might translate well to expressing "In the Time of the Butterflies."

Maybe I can combine that drawing of Dede from a few days ago, this butterfly drawing (still on my drawing board,) and the below pillars/text to get a certain feel. I like the opposing pillars and the text. It reinforces the idea that "this is something I have read, felt strongly about, and maybe you would like it too..." Also, recycling old art is a good way to jump-start one's creative drive. Don't we always seem to find something that needs "fixing" in old artwork?
MariposaExtremes

No comments:

Powered By Blogger