Monday, July 16, 2007

Mango Fiction

When weeding books at the library, we sometimes discard books too old or damaged. I've noticed that the end papers of many discarded books are pretty nice paper. Usually there are 2-3 blank pages at each end of the book. First I tore out some of these and saved them for drawings. Then I bought a copy of "After the War" by Richard Marius at our booksale. Started drawing directly in the book with Prismacolor pencils. It's a lot of fun and makes taking along a sketchbook easier, though I expect people in general are shocked to see someone "defacing a book." From my viewpoint, it gives me a nice, bohemian, literate sense of recycling. It's tempting to read the page first to see if it "suggests" but I'm gonna resist that as really not relevant or maybe should be left to serendipity. Fun to read later, what's underneath the drawing and be surprised.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I REALLY love this!

Powered By Blogger