Thursday, July 19, 2007

Troubles with collage


The subject of collage came up in a comment, so I wanted to mention this. National Geographics are one of the best for "natural" colors and mysterious-looking textures. It's also fun to make as many of the edges as possible out of things that are already edges in a photo. I kept a box of the mags for years, but finally used them for this about 3 years ago. I doubt it's lightfast, especially in Phoenix. Last week I stood on my bed to get this photo (hence the blur) and put it on the computer. I'm still tinkering with the colors in Photoshop.
So maybe worrying about colorfastness is less important than remembering to take a picture of whatever it is! I've also heard you can section up a collage to color copy it and reassemble.
This was inspired by the Tut exhibit that came to San Francisco back in the (80's?) and a postcard I got there. The collage is about 2 x 3 feet, & done on Office Depot poster board. I used rubber cement, which is also bad. Not very archival. Maybe there could be an EDM Challenge to do a drawing and then do a collage of the drawing and post them side by side.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger