Thursday, October 2, 2008

Practicing with this Tutorial


Here I'm working out the kind of details I'll need for the upcoming street painting fest. This eye is utterly without subtlety but it's an eye... and I need to keep practicing them. I want to create a figure whose expression pulls the viewer into the piece. This one looks merely startled. There's also the problem of overworking - I did that between the eye and brow here.

Melanie has a really good tutorial on making effective eyes. She also demonstrated at last week's workshop. One useful tip was that, on black, the base color for the white of the eye should be gray. This fact alone was tremendously helpful because once you introduce white into the picture, you can't seem to ever get rid of it. This is a nice steel gray pastel paper.

2 comments:

steviewren said...

Chalk is a medium I've never been very good with. I just don't know how to achieve softness with sharp details where they are called for. My hat's off to you. I can see you are much more comfortable with them. Good luck with the sidewalk art show.

soulbrush said...

wow how do you do that eye so perfectly, am in awe.

Powered By Blogger