Thursday, October 16, 2008

Value Checking




Here's a progressive of the sketch I'm working on for the festival. After working on it for a while, I needed a bird's eye view, and a clue as to what values to put where. My scanner cropped off the two edges, so imagine there is more there. I will tone down the vividness somewhat, but I love the juicy colors and utopian feel of fruit crate labels, and that is the look I am going for here. I noticed (after scanning) that she reminds me of Toni Braxton, whose "Unbreak My Heart" I used to play endlessly!
Since I'm doing this sketch in Prismacolor pencils, I have to put the colors on opposite how they go in Pastel. Light colors go on first here, but on the street, colors will go dark-to-light.

4 comments:

steviewren said...

With the addition of color it has a very Gauguin quality to it. I'm thinking islands and mystery. It's pretty.

Unknown said...

Gauguin was exactly my first thought as well. Nicely done - looking forward to seeing it on the pavement!

Linda said...

Oh wow, what brilliant colors and wonderful subject! I also thought about Gauguin in -- where was it, Tahiti? ... anyway, fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I'm not an artist, but I think this looks great. I really like the colors. It's just fabulous.

Powered By Blogger