Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tree Poetry: More Experiments


I'm trying to learn more about Photoshop, because it takes my random works of art and gives them...stature. This is a photo of Eucalyptus leaf and bark, placed over the blue fabric photo I used under yesterday's "dancer". The third layer and the poem are on top. Trying to put it together was strange, because everything Photoshop feels so theoretical rather than real. You can create results you can't undertand, or don't see how to reverse, or in a format that seems to exclude certain uses of the image. But I still think artists can rejoice that there is such a good tool available to manipulate and multiply the uses of our images. Now, if I can just learn how to bend it to my will without letting it humiliate me too badly.

The poem, by the way, is one I started using for calligraphy practice so long ago, by Karle Wilson Baker. Whenever I set out to do lettering, this one creeps back out of my memory and onto the page. It's nice, though. It goes on for four more stanzas, but I always liked the first and third. Maybe I'll use the whole poem sometime.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger