Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lighting the Torch


I found it impossible not to respond to the Olympics images on TV last night!I especially liked the torch lighting sequence. Something about that dreamlike runner treading air around the rim of the stadium appealed to me. I liked the blending of the surreal and impossible with those images from history rolling out behind him. It did feel like the person who conceived it was telling about a dream; perhaps a national dream or a dream the human race as a whole is dreaming. Even though the first day was marred by tragic events and international conflict, I will remember the torch lighting. Actually, I was sitting in the same spot on my sofa where I first watched the World Trade Center attacks and that coincidence crossed my mind. Looking at the sketch here, I realize it reminds me a little of aboriginal rock art I've recently seen in the BBC production of "How Art Changed the World." That's a wonderful series by the way and I recommend it.
Also, here is a link to a video recording of the part of the ceremony I used for this drawing.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your sketch - and because we were in a cabin in the woods on Friday night I also watched your YouTube link. Thanks.

Powered By Blogger