Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More Square Stories




I was thinking the other day of heated discussions I have with my Life Partner about doing art and whether I am mistaken in wanting to sell the work in order to feel successful.

These little windows or stories-in-a-box may not mean anything, but they are satisfying to make. You take one particular feeling and just express it simply. I think the urge is to be understood, and selling somehow implies that someone somewhere does understand. At any rate the buyer has seen something in your work that struck a chord.
The girl read the book and became engrossed in the writer's words. His story has grabbed her imagination.
The other figure is filled with the frustration of not being heard or understood. The feeling of speaking one's piece alone in the wilderness is a scary one: like the un-heard fallen tree.
Working in a library, I see how much reading means to people. As an escape, as inspiration, for insight into one's circumstances or life path. I don't think people go to art in this way, expecting instant gratification. It's easy for people to talk about books, hard to talk about art.

3 comments:

Ken Foster said...

Nice post. I like what you wrote and like your sketches.

Margie said...

Ken, thanks for your comment. I see you're biking in Spain! My son in Northern California bikes also. The drawings from Spain are really nice: what pen are you using when you travel?

Ken Foster said...

Thanks Margie! I use a uniball vision fine ballpoint - it's a great pen - good for travelling!

Powered By Blogger