Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hot Summertime Blues



I was out today in the heat and hating my hot car, the errands I had and the constraints I was feeling in my life. I turned on the car stereo to "Beautiful Day." Thought then how this current life I'm in and this exact routine I was so hating would seem a thing of beauty tinged with nostalgia if - in some future I can't see - I had no sight, was injured, had lost family, job or any of the simple freedoms I was enjoying today by driving to the store and paying for things. There are so many things to complain about in the physical world if you let yourself.

The fact is, I have let myself drift away from daily art again. All last week though, each night after work I made myself draw a square and put something in it. These drawings have accumulated, and here are a few of them.
My intent was just to express one simple concept about life or work or change. It's so different than drawing from life or direct observation. You know it's right when it feels right rather than looks right. The top one is based on a view of Jericho from a video I love, "How Art Made the World". The figures are thoughts about power. I've never focused on blue before, but it was the pencil that came to hand, and it is sort of interesting. These hot summertime blues.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger