Monday, October 22, 2007

Chasing Cranes


Today I spent my lunch time chasing this construction crane to get photos.
The Valley is awash right now in these graceful monsters looming all around. I often see the most arresting images while on the freeway or at a traffic light. Today I tossed caution to the winds and tracked this one down. The crane, blue against a very blue sky, was difficult to photograph. There was even time to stay a bit and watch it lifting lengths of steel with its long cables. I took the photos as reference for a future project. Did this quickie sketch as soon as I got back to work....Next day off, another "chase" after a huge red one near the Airport.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool! I find cranes very interesting too. A corny joke around here is that they are our "state bird."

crimsoncat05 said...

very graphic photos! Was the one with the tan background taken during a dust storm??

Margie said...

I wish it had been: that sounds exciting. Actually, both the sky and the crane were blue in the photo & I wasn't getting any contrast, so I used the "invert" command in Photoshop. That's what I got! Similar to a color negative effect I guess.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Powered By Blogger