Monday, October 1, 2007

Un Cafecito?

This was directly inspired by Belkis Ramirez, whose woodcut is on the cover of "A Cafecito Story" by Julia Alvarez. My version got a little colorful, but is in keeping with my wish to learn how to use color, and express feelings and thoughts more effectively through color.

Here's the entire drawing, but I cropped the top off. Which one works better?
There are many good lines in the book, which Julia Alvarez wrote in Spanish and English side-by-side.
"Read this book while sipping a cup of great coffee grown under birdsong. Then close your eyes and listen for your own song."
..."Lea este libro mientras saborea una taza de un maravilloso cafe crecido bajo el canto de las aves. Entonces, cierre los ojos y escuche su propio canto."
8 1/2 x 11, Prismacolor pencil on colored paper.

2 comments:

Linda T said...

I like the larger, complete image because of the way the colors go from warm to cool on the way up. I love the shapes at the top, too. Very pleasing drawing.

E-J said...

I prefer the larger image too ... More colour! (which, in my book, always means "better") ...

Powered By Blogger