Friday, October 19, 2007

Just Playing Around

There is something undeniably attractive about drawing on photos from flyers, magazines, etc. Partly it is appealing because you can doodle from an existing image: in this case a face in a flyer. One thing led to another, a little black marker, a little highlighter and it looks odd and mysterious. Then I put it on top of a photo of fall leaves. So there you are, art that might not "mean anything", but insists on being anyway. Sometimes images suggest a meaning later on. Meanwhile, take advantage of any opportunity to draw purely for the entertainment value of it. I often forget how much fun it is to try a new idea.
When we were kids, we used to draw a weird mark or squiggle on paper and challenge each other to make a drawing out of it. This was a fragment of a photocopy of someone: (the top of his head appears in the lower left.) I drew it as a hill, added a tree, and a horizon line. Then I began erasing the halftone and enhanced it a bit with black pencil to make a moody sort of sky. Photographing it with this bamboo placemat as a mat makes it look more important than it really is. That's a good thing to remember: almost any artwork you are struggling with takes on stature if it is matted. Imagine it matted, and see if you can live with it.

2 comments:

Susan Hosken said...

Margie,
You sent a little poem to my blog entry on Hope and I was so pleased. i never realised I could track back to the other person's blog like this so I am so pleased to be able to say how much I appreciated your comment and your blog is so INSPIRING. I love the way you share all your fabulous artwork.
Thank you
Lots of love from Susan in Australia

Anonymous said...

There's a samurai sneaking all over your leaves!
Love it!
-Joyce

Powered By Blogger